Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tornado Season

As all of you know, I've lived my entire life in Ohio.  Every spring/early summer we would occasionally see the tornado watch on the corner of the tv screen.  Even less frequently would the warning come across and the sirens go off.  But you better believe every time I would hear the siren, I took action.  I have vivid memories as a kid rounding up the family and dog with the flashlight, radio and even a pillow to head to the basement.  Usually, it ended up being the dog and me in the basement but nonetheless.  Can you sense my anxiety of tornadoes?

So, where do we move?  Arkansas....where they not only have the longest tornado season ever but also don't have basements.  In just over two weeks, we've already had two tornadoes.  Luckily, the first was a good 40 miles outside of Fayetteville.  Tonight however was a different experience.



I'm staying in a hotel in Little Rock for a work function.  As we were finishing up our meeting, the sirens started.  My heart rate started to increase, and naturally I started asking everyone what to do?  The front desk was extremely helpful as they looked at each other and said they didn't know protcol and would have to ask management.  Awesome.  Now, the knot in my stomach was growing.  Sure enough, security announces everyone to make their way to the ballroom.  As I looked around, all I could see was this huge open room filled with people, mirrors everywhere and glass chandeliers.  Safe?  I wasn't so sure.  Mark, my awesome partner, found a closet just outside of the room and given my slight anxiety of the situation agreed to sit in there with me...yes a closet.  Safe and sound.  No tornado, just left with an increased heart rate.  Wine PLEASE!    Thank you room service.


2 comments:

  1. Nicki, I thought of you last night as I was awakened by the whine of the sirens. As I arose from my comfy bed to look out the window and see no rain, no wind, no thunder and no lightening, I asked Pattie to go down to the basement but she was way to snuggled in. I just figured if things went bad, we might end up in Kansas (not far from Arkansas) with a little dog that looked like Jack. Hope all is well, I like the hangers in the background of your pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICKI! HAHHAHA I am laughing SO HARD! First, you are right. As a kid, you were always so anxious about tornadoes! I remember telling you to go back to sleep but you wouldn't!

    I can just see you sitting in the closet, you have a great partner!! I hope the wine helped you relax.....

    Sirens went off here too...Mercedes went nuts and was jumping on my head. So we went downstairs and sat together until the sirens went off....I had wished that you were still here so we would have company watching the tv to see where the tornadoes were!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete