January 7, 2012 - OH, WHAT A MORNING...
Before the morning of January 7th, I spent the week prior in Dallas at our year end meeting and awards celebration for 2011. I made it home on Friday night and was so surprised yet excited to walk in the door to a home cooked meal and two bottles of wine on the table. While of course I missed both Jack and Nick, and have never really needed an excuse to enjoy a glass of wine, Nick made it clear that he wanted a night of celebration since since I received a few surprise awards and a promotion while in Dallas. As grateful as I was, I told Nick I had a really good feeling that I was pregnant but said we had to wait until morning to take the test...of course, I had to follow the directions exactly as printed. I think I woke up every hour that night in anticipation for morning. Finally, at 4am, I couldn't wait any longer and literally less than 15 seconds later, the test couldn't be more clear. I knew the digital that spelled it out was the way to go!!!
Excitement, Joy, Shock, Relief, Amazement, Disbelief (yes, I continued to check it all day just to make sure the test didn't change)! I remember all of these emotions hitting us at once and despite the hour on the clock, we were up and I already had the computer turned on and google ready. What to eat? What not to eat? What should I be feeling? What's to come? The list goes on and on. BUT, our number one question for the morning was- how do we tell our family?
Throughout the many times daydreaming about how our life may play out (the planner in me) and our hope for a baby one day, Arkansas never fit into that story...until 11 months ago. 12 hours of separation between Ohio and Arkansas posed a challenge for the typical tell everyone in person routine. So, after a morning of brainstorming we had a plan and were literally bursting at the seams to share the news! I am definitely not a person that could have kept this a total secret for 12 weeks.
My Parents - I called my mom's favorite flower shop in Akron - Pam's Posie's and ordered what my mom later called a gorgeous arrangement of flowers. I have to admit, it felt a little odd having a stranger at a floral shop be the first to hear I was pregnant, but it was all well worth it. Within an hour, the bouquet was at my parent's doorstep. Nick and I loved waiting for the phone call. I wouldn't let him leave the house for fear he would miss it! Needless to say, my parents were just a bit excited!! The flowers were a huge success blue vase and all (really?! I had no idea I needed to specify a clear vase) so as you can imagine, my mom now thinks we are having a boy!
Nick's Parents - Nick decided he really wanted to tell his parents in person. As much as we love a road trip from time to time, we weren't about to hop in the car for a 12 hour ride. He decided Facetime was the next best option. Nick made a sign and Jack was a great sport to wear it around while we attempted to Facetime. Little did we know, the Spicher's decided to switch internet providers and were without service until Wednesday. Nick was crushed...but managed to get through the next few days without slipping the news and we were finally able to tell them that Thursday night!
We then told our siblings and word spread throughout family over the next few weeks. Now that I am officially 13.5 weeks along, the word is out and we are so excited about the journey ahead. We continue to pray daily for a healthy baby and smooth pregnancy. I feel so lucky and blessed that overall I've felt great so far!

Congrats! SO happy for you guys! I was just like you and took a VERY early morning test...we still laugh about that. Will he/she have a "Nick" name, too?
ReplyDelete