Thursday, February 23, 2012

Did You Ever Dream You'd Have a Baby in Arkansas?

My desire to start this blog with a line that read "It's A Baby Y'all" overwhelmed me...but I just couldn't do it.

Maybe it's due to the fact that Nicki and I live within a 9 minute drive from The Duggar's house, or maybe it is because I've always secretly desired to have a child with a southern accent.  No matter what the underlying motives are - Nicki and I are anxiously anticipating the arrival of Baby Spicher on  September 9th!!

We couldn't be more excited, and as any of you who have had children know, we couldn't feel less prepared.  Actually, allow me to restate that...I couldn't be feel less prepared.  Nicki is impeccably prepared.  Since the day I met her I've known she will be a great mother - now I'm just excited to get to be a part of the experience - and reap the benefits.  I will spend the next six months reading book after book to discover what so clearly comes very naturally to her.

Since the moment we found out we were pregnant we have been reflecting on the experiences we've been lucky enough to have, as we have joined in the journey of a number of our friends and family members as they have started, or grown, their families.  We have been alongside the incredible journey of pregnancy, adoption, and even international adoption.  We've been a part of the birth of boys, girls, and even twins!  We've experienced, with the people closest to us, the magical gift of starting a family, and the chaotic blessing of raising a family.

As we have entered this new phase of our lives, and of our marriage, so many emotions have been involved.  Many of these emotions are completely new (since when did Nicki like Eggo waffles for breakfast?), and many are just heightened levels of frequent feelings (I knew I was a cryer - but really...come on man...get it together).  But one thing is perfectly clear, God has a plan for his family - and that plan is perfect.  No matter whether that plan involves triumph, challenges, ups, downs, and unknowns - in the end, it is good.  What He has planned is unknown to all, but when it plays out in dramatic times, such as pregnancy and the birth of a child, it couldn't be more apparent that we are totally out of control of our lives - and I really like it that way.

What we have also learned through the experiences of our friends and family is that the fun is that in the chaos, the blessings of having a child are endless, and it will be the little things that will make us smile the most.

So, while it is probably a true statement that as a future dad I fall asleep concerned that my knowledge and skill in 'father duties' will result in the following:



                                         




I know that someday, somehow, with God's grace, my wife's amazing talents, and help from family and friends like you, I will get to experience moments like this:
My brother Scott with Abby and Ben before the first day of school

Jeff teaching Emily why it is patriotic to pay your taxes...

Ross and Norah celebrating what appears to be Norah's 30th birthday...

Mark and Walker misinterpreting that tigers aren't black and yellow...bees are.


Ray and Ryan clearly happy to see something.

Matt clearly risking Will's life for the purpose of a good black and white picture...
Right now, what we have is this incredibly overwhelming picture to stare at day after day, and simply stand amazed at the wonderful things God has in-store for our family.

2 comments:

  1. You made me cry!! And I even knew you were pregnant!! You will be AMAZING parents! We are so excited for the four of you; Jack included!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGREED!!! So excited for you Nick and Nicki!!! :)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete