If I would have known how fun it is to come back home, I would have moved away a long time ago! This past weekend Nicki and I experienced our first ever trip "back" to Cincinnati. Nicki has many many experiences of taking trips back home as she hasn't lived in her hometown of Akron since she left for college. For me, this was a first.
It's not like we had high expectations. In one 2.5 day span we simply wanted to spend quality time with every family member, all of our friends, our entire church small group, some old work friends, play some golf, see Nicki's family and have an early 30th birthday celebration for Jen & Nicki in Columbus, go on a run with my brother, have a chance to visit our old church, eat at Deweys, Skyline, Green Papaya, Silver Spring House, Paxtons, LaRosas, Graeters, First Watch, and have a drink at the Winking Lizard. I don't see what the problem was?
Mission accomplished (well - we didn't get to some of the aforementioned eateries but the secondary goal was to be allowed back on the flight without needing two seats).
The best way I can describe it, is that we left with our hearts filled. Nicki and I heard a sermon a couple of weeks back discussing the idea of separating the things in life that bring short term happiness from those that provide true joy. It is weekends like this that bring the kind of memories that bring true joy, and last a lifetime - or at least fill the gap for the next three months.
Nicki actually got her trip started early on Wednesday and Thursday. Frankly I was tired just listening to what she had done in two days. She was able to maximize each moment to catch up with great friends and the Cincinnati work crew. These were some of the hardest people for Nicki to leave - so being able to spend quality time with them was important to her. Based on the picture message I received on Thursday, I can only imagine a good time was had by all...
I was lucky enough to start our whirlwind tour of Burlington/Cincinnati/Loveland/Columbus by spending the night at my brother's house and spending the night with my niece and nephews. Scott picked me up at the airport and we went directly (do not pass go, do not collect $200) to Skyline. I spent the night playing all kinds of games with Ben and Abby. We even 'got in trouble' by staying up too late - when Scott finally had to come down and tell us to go to bed.
![]() |
| Note the 'Life' game board in the background - I blamed my dramatically poor performance on having not played that game since I was 7. |
Friday started with a 5:30 a.m. wakeup call for a run with my brother. There is something about running with Scott - no matter the time, no matter the distance, a couple of life problems will be solved when we hit the pavement. It was, as usual, a wonderful time for reflection and some looking forward.
Scott, my dad, Ray Moorman, and I braved the heat on Saturday and played golf during the day and finished up with lunch at Silver Spring House. This was quickly parlayed in to a trip up to Columbus to celebrate Nicki & Jen's 30th birthday (a month early). We were able to see Jen & John's newly renovated, and fantastically updated, home - and Dale and I even worked in a couple of Christmas ales at the Winking Lizard Christmas in July celebration.
| Nicki's parents got her and Jen Build-a-bear Smurfs - in reference to their 1st birthday party which was a Smurf themed party. |
| I did not get a hat. |
| My Aunt Rita's birthday gift was her first ever Razorback shirt. In light of this, she was forced to learn to "call the Hogs" - woo pig sooie. |
| Moments to treasure. |
| I had asked Shane if he would perform a solo version of How He Loves Us to just me...because I love when people sing to just me... |
The post grill out events involved a dinner at the Green Papaya with the McGowan/Cunio crew and the Dr's Robertshaw. We then ventured to a local establishment and spent the entire night enjoying some revelry with a large group of friends. It was the perfect way to round out a fantastic day.
![]() |
| The 'boat of sushi' is what happens when you don't get a chance to eat somewhere very often and you're not sure when you'll get it again |
We ended the trip by getting to spend some quality relaxing time with my parents. While they threw an outstanding event on Saturday - they were so consumed with being gracious hosts we didn't get a chance to really connect with them. We went to Paxtons for lunch, drove by our old house, tried to play some basketball with our old neighbors, and then just talked for a while.
Needless to say we were a bit worn out and tired of eating by the time we got home. But most of all we were happy. Fayetteville is, thankfully, becoming our new home faster than we could have imagined. We love the life we are building together here, but there is, as we found out this past weekend, something about going home that just feels right.



No comments:
Post a Comment